CRG INTERNATIONAL PHD FELLOWSHIPS PROGRAMME
Applying for a PhD @ CRG
CRG PhD Positions are typically open between October and December each year and applications should be made via the Online Application Portal. Further information on how to apply is included in the page below, please read everything here carefully before applying.
Apply now to boost your scientific career in a center of excellence, backed by first class core facilities and a broad training portfolio in our multidisciplinary, international community. Fellows will benefit from an exciting international scientific environment and an integrated training programme, including access to state of the art infrastructure, lectures and seminars, specialised scientific and technological courses, complementary skills training and career development activities, phd symposia and retreats, as well as social activities.
In this call, we do offer up to 13 fully funded scholarships for international life sciences PhD students
Decide which two CRG Supervisors you are most interested in applying for. Successful candidates will carry out their research in one of the following scientific fields:
- WEGHORN Lab - Cancer Evolution | Population Genetics | Mathematical Modeling | Mutation Signatures
- BEEKMAN Lab - 3D Chromatin | Epigenetics | CRISPR | Lymphoma | Wetlab / Combined-Wetlab-Bioinformatic
- VELTEN Lab - Single Cell Genomics | Cancer (Leukemia) | Bioinformatics | Stem Cell Biology
- BÖKE Lab - Physiological Amyloids | Metabolism | Oocytes | Fertility
- SURREY Lab - Cytoskeleton | Cell Division | Gene Editing | Advance Fluorescence Microscopy | Microtubules
- COSMA Lab - Stem Cells | Reprogramming | Chromatin | Tissue Regeneration | Super Resolution Microscopy
- STROUSTRUP Lab - Mechanisms of Aging | Functional Genomics | Synthetic Biology | Mathematical Modeling
- FERRER Lab - Noncoding Mutations & Human Disease | Genome Regulation | Integrative Genomics | Diabetes
- SEBE-PEDROS Lab - 3D chromatin architecture | Enhancer elements | Evolution of genome regulation
- GUT Lab - Single Cell Analysis | Bioinformatics | Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- SERRANO Lab - Computational Biology/Bioinformatics | Systems Biology | Human Disease
- DE LA LUNA Lab - Transcriptional Regulation | Signaling | Protein Kinases | Rare Diseases
- RUPRECHT Lab - Cell & Tissue Morphogenesis | Biophysics | Quantitative Imaging | Mechanobiology
- IRIMIA Lab - Neuroscience | Transcriptomics | Evolution
- PAYER Lab - Epigenetic Reprogramming | Pluripotency | Germ Cells | X-Chromosome Reactivation
- LEHNER Lab - Genomics | Deep Mutational Scanning | Evolution | Protein Structures | Aggregation | Neurodegeneration
- MAURER Lab - mRNA Localization | Neuronal Transport | Motor Proteins | Microtubules | Biophysics
- DI CROCE Lab - Polycomb | Gene Regulation | Epigenetics | Chromatin | Cancer | Human Diseases
- MARTÍ-RENOM Lab - Spatial Transcriptomics | Single Cell | Modeling | Cancer
- 3 fellowships through the “Contratos predoctorales Severo-Ochoa para la Formación de doctores” 2019 call funded by the MINECO (“Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad”). (herein referred to as FPI - Severo Ochoa Grants).
- 1 fellowship through the Zenith "Innovative Training Network" (herein referred to as ITN Grants) to Manuel Irimia lab. Candidates for this position must undertake trans-national mobility, which means that candidates must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call.
- 1 fellowship through the Enhpathy "Innovative Training Network" (herein referred to as ITN Grants) to Jorge Ferrer lab. Candidates for this position must undertake trans-national mobility, which means that candidates must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call.
- Up to 8 fellowships funded by the labs ( ERC grant, Proyectos I+D Excelencia/Retos” 2019 Call funded by MINECO (herein referred to as FPI-project Grants, CRG Cofe funding, etc.).
Selected PhD students will receive an annual work contract with a competitive salary that will be renewed annually for a maximum of 4 years ( 3-year contract for ITNs) following the applicable national regulations. All PhD students will receive full health and occupational insurance coverage and will be included in the Spanish Social Security System.
Candidates should fulfil the following eligibility criteria at the time of the call deadline. If it becomes clear before, during or after the evaluation phase that one or more of the eligibility criteria have not been fulfilled, the proposal is declared ineligible and is withdrawn from any further examination.
- The call is open to candidates of any nationality.
- Candidates must have obtained a University Degree and a Masters Degree in biomedical sciences within the European Higher Education System (minimum 300 ECTS) or an equivalent University Degree that allows to start a PhD thesis in the candidate’s home country by October 2020. Candidates who expect to be awarded with such degree by October 2020 are eligible to apply.
- Candidates must have an excellent academic record, previous research experience and a strong commitment for scientific research.
- Candidates must have a high working knowledge of English
- Candidates invited to previous PhD call interviews are not eligible
- Candidates performing their Masters at the CRG during the 2019/2020 academic year are not eligible
- Candidates may not have worked at the CRG for more than 3 months before the call deadline
In case of doubts about the eligibility criteria, applicants should contact the Academic Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to submitting an application.
- Applications must be submitted online
- Candidates must register in order to use the online application system.
- The online application form requests all of the necessary information for the initial stages of the selection process (General information, Education, Coursework, Honours, scholarships, prizes and awards, research experience, scientific interests and reference letters.)
- If the academic transcripts are not in Catalan, Spanish or English applicants should also attach a translation in one of the above mentioned languages.
- Two reference letters will be automatically requested to the referees proposed by the candidate through the online system.
- Applicants should select a maximum of 2 labs in which they would like to work.
- Candidates must ensure that all information is included before the deadline, including the reference letters. Incomplete proposals will not be considered.
Once the application is submitted, an acknowledgement of receipt will be automatically sent by e-mail to the applicant.
Applicants who would like to receive the information of the call in an alternative format (e.g. large print, Braille, audio or hard copy), or who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on + 34 93 316 01 00.
The selection of the fellows will be based on the candidates' academic qualifications and research excellence.
- Pre-selection: The pre-selection will be based on the candidate's CV, reference letters and on the research interests. Complete applications will be reviewed within a month after the deadline.
- Oral interviews: Short-listed candidates will receive invitations to visit the CRG for the interviews that will take place 6-9 weeks after the application deadline.
- Fellowship offers: Offers will be made to the successful candidates shortly after the interview period. Selected students will have two weeks to accept the position and should start their fellowships no later than October 1st 2020.
More details are included in the Call Text
|Call opening||November 8, 2019|
|Call deadline||January 13, 2020|
|Invitation for the interviews||January 27-31, 2020|
|Oral interviews||March 2-6, 2020|
|Notification to candidates||March 11-13, 2020|
|Start date of fellowships||October, 2020|
For any additional information, please contact the CRG Academic Office at: email@example.com