Science Cafes are talks and discussion on current issues that encourage critical thinking and open debate between the general public and scientists. In the CRG, this initiative began in 2008 thanks to a group of PhD students and postdoctoral researchers interested in the dissemination of science.
Science Cafes are activities aimed at bringing science closer to society by facilitating, in an informal way, a space for dialogue and conversation about science.
The Cafes are focused on topics of general interest and current affairs related to science, technology and innovation.
Up untill now, the cafes have been organised in many diverse locations such as libraries, bars, community centres or cultural centres in Barcelona.
Previous editions of Science Cafés:
- 20 years of the human genome: lots of data, few certainties - Watch the Café here (in Spanish)
- Proteins, the 'black box' to relate prehistoric species - Watch the Café here (in Spanish)
- Science, medicine and patients: a team effort to treat rare diseases - Watch the Café here (in Spanish)
- Unity is strenght: citizens and scientific community together in the study of the oral microbiota - Watch the Café here (in Spanish)
- A holistic view of human biology - Watch the Café here (in Spanish)
- Fertility and age, where are the limits? - Watch the Café here (in Catalan)
- Nutrition: Take care of your body... and your brain! - Watch the Café here (in Catalan & Spanish)
- Genetics: physics or biology?
- Sharing genomic data: the best way to advance on cancer treatment?
- Disease from an evolutive perspective
- "Environmental memory": heritage is beyond genetics
- Medical genomics, tailor-made treatments of the future
- 3D design in the lab: Synthetic organs
- CRISPR, the genetics revolution
- When genetics and maths shake hands
- The first programmer in history was a woman: Ada Lovelace
- EGA, a library for the medicine of the future?
- Human microbiome: the guests of our body
- Epigenetics: beyond GATTACA - WATCH THE VIDEO
- Human genome and architecture
- Can we create synthetic life in the future?
- What are stem cells?
- Is 'Big Data' part of my future?
- The scent of emotions
- Closing the gap between basic and applied research: the case of stem cells by 4DCellFate.eu
- Thinking only about me: neurobiology, philosophy and the idea of “self”
- What do we know about rare diseases?
- The two faces of the immune system: when it protects and when it attacks
- Do you look after your heart?
There is no pre-established schedule for the Cafes. The information is published on the events section of our webpage.
In collaboration with: