CRG – “la Caixa” / Severo Ochoa International PhD Programme Fellowships
Training and benefits
How to apply
Participating Research Groups
Call calendar 2015 selection round
Related documents and pages
"La Caixa" Foundation is a non-profit organisation that since 1982, runs several programmes in the education and research field, poverty and social exclusion, environment and culture. The educational and research programme promotes academic research and equal opportunities. In the past thirty years, thousands of students have been able to develop their studies with a "la Caixa" fellowship.
Since 2008 "la Caixa" Foundation has been supporting International PhD Programmes from selected Spanish biomedical institutes, such as the CRG, to promote excellent science in Spain.
"la Caixa" Foundation is currently providing support to the CRG and other Spanish Centers of Excellence recognised with the Severo Ochoa Award by the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness.
The CRG is recruiting within the CRG International PhD Fellowship Programme "la Caixa"-Severo Ochoa, highly talented and motivated students with outstanding qualifications to carry out a PhD in biomedicine at the CRG.
Fellows will benefit from an exciting international scientific environment and an integrated training programme, including access to state of the art infrastructure , lectures and seminars, specialised scientific and technological courses, complementary skills training and career development activities, postdoctoral symposia and retreats, as well as social activities.
Successful candidates will join research groups with top-level scientists and will carry out their research in one of the following scientific fields:
- Bioinformatics and Genomics
- Cell and Developmental Biology
- Gene Regulation, Stem Cells and Cancer
- Genomic Analysis (CNAG-CRG)
- Systems Biology
Candidates must fulfil the following requirements at the time of the deadline:
- Candidates must have obtained a University Degree and a Masters Degree in biomedical sciences within the European Higher Education System (minimum 300 ECTS) or an equivalent university degree that allows to start a PhD thesis in the candidate's home country by September 2016. Candidates who expect to be awarded with such degree by September 2016 are eligible to apply.
- Candidates must have an excellent academic record, previous research experience and a strong commitment for scientific research.
- Candidates must have a high working knowledge of English
- Candidates applying for the 2 top ranked positions funded by "la Caixa" may not have worked at the CRG for more than 6 months before the deadline
- The call is open to candidates of any nationality.
- The current call offers 2 positions funded by "la Caixa" and at least 8 positions provided by internal and external CRG funds.
- Fellows will be supported for a period of 4 years
- Applicants who have not been successful but that have received a positive evaluation will be included on a waiting list to cover future positions
CRG/"la Caixa" fellows will benefit from the CRG Research and Training Programme, which includes:
- International scientific environment. CRG is located in Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB), a cluster for biomedical research in southern Europe, which includes several other biomedical research institutions and more than 1000 researchers
- Advanced research training (training-through research, specific scientific and technology courses and a variety of CRG seminars and CRG/PRBB conferences with international invited speakers)
- Career development activities (Courses@CRG, INTERVALS Programme offered to PRBB residents)
- Cutting- edge advanced core facilities
- Other initiatives and activities organised by the PRBB and CRG
- Student community activities (Annual Retreat & Annual Symposium)
- Internationally competitive salary
- Applications must be submitted online
- Candidates must register in order to use the online application system.
- The online application form requests all of the necessary information for the initial stages of the selection process (General information, Education, Coursework, Honours, scholarships, prizes and awards, research experience, scientific interests and reference letters.)
- If the academic transcripts are not in Catalan, Spanish or English applicants should also attach a translation in one of the above mentioned languages.
- Applicants should select at minimum of 2 labs and a maximum of 5 in which they would like to work.
- Two reference letters will be automatically requested to the referees proposed by the candidate through the online system.
- Candidates must ensure that all information is included before the deadline, including the reference letters. Incomplete proposals will not be considered.
Once the application is submitted, an acknowledgement of receipt will be automatically sent by e-mail to the applicant.
Applicants who would like to receive the information of the call in an alternative format (e.g. large print, Braille, audio or hard copy), or who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on + 34 93 316 01 00.
For any additional information, please contact Imma Falero at email@example.com
The selection of the fellows will be based on the candidates' academic qualifications and research excellence.
- Pre-selection: The pre-selection will be based on the candidate's CV, reference letters and on the research interests. Complete applications will be reviewed within a month after the deadline.
- Oral interviews: Short-listed candidates will receive invitations to visit the CRG for the interviews that will take place 6-9 weeks after the application deadline.
- Fellowship offers: Offers will be made to the successful candidates shortly after the interview period. Selected students will have two weeks to accept the position and should start their fellowships no later than October 1st 2016.
More details are included in the Call Text.
For this call, the CRG group leaders who have expressed interest in recruiting a student are:
- Bioinformatics and Genomics Program: Gian Tartaglia,
- Cell and Developmental Biology Program: Sebastian Maurer, Jérome Solon
- Centro Nacional de Análisis Genómico (CNAG-CRG): Ivo G.Gut
- Gene Regulation Stem Cells and Cancer Program: Juan Valcárcel, Fátima Gebauer, Bernhard Payer, Thomas Graf, Luciano Di Croce, Pia Cosma
- Systems Biology: Luis Serrano , Mara Dierssen
|Call opening||October 22, 2015|
|Call deadline||January 11, 2016|
|Pre-selection of candidates||January 25-29, 2016|
|Oral interviews||March 7-11 , 2016|
|Notification to candidates||March 28-31, 2016|
|Start date of fellowships||September/October 2016|
For any additional information, please contact:
CRG International PhD Programme
Centre de Regulació Genòmica
Dr. Aiguader, 88