PhD4MD - Collaborative Research Training Programme for Medical Doctors
The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG), the Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona), the August Pi i Sunyer Biomedical Research Institute (IDIBAPS) and the Vall d'Hebron Research Institute (VHIR) are launching a new training programme on research for medical doctors, called PhD4MD. The CRG and the IRB Barcelona are internationally recognized research institutes in life sciences, while the IDIBAPS and the VHIR, associated to the Hospital Clinic and Vall d'Hebron Hospital, respectively, are international leaders in translational research.
The long-term goal of the PhD4MD programme is to train the next generation of physician scientists who will drive research and accomplish greater impact on patients through a research career informed by medical insight.
In this framework, the four institutes are recruiting highly talented and motivated candidates with outstanding qualifications to carry out a PhD research project in biomedicine right after their medical specialization.
Awardees will benefit from an exciting international scientific environment and an integrated training programme, including access to state-of-the-art technological platforms, lectures and seminars, specialized scientific and technological courses, complementary skills training and career development activities, symposia and retreats, as well as social activities. Awardees will also have the opportunity to have some reserved time for shifts at the hospital to allow continuous contacts with the patients and the clinical work.
Successful candidates will work on collaborative projects between one group focusing on fundamental biology at the CRG (the Centre for Genomic Regulation together with the National Centre for Genomic Analysis, CNAG) or IRB Barcelona and one group focusing on translational or clinical research at the VHIR or IDIBAPS.
Candidates should fulfill the following eligibility criteria at the time of the call deadline. If one or more of the eligibility criteria are not fulfilled, the proposal will be declared ineligible and will be withdrawn from any further consideration:
· Candidates must have obtained a Medical Degree and the Spanish FSE (MIR - Medical Internship or residency) or an officially accredited as equivalent obtained in any EU country between 01/01/2012 and 10/31/2016. This accreditation should have been obtained at the date of contract and consequently the PhD thesis start date Only MDs (MIR) are elegible. FIR, BIR candidates will not be considered.
For the purpose of calculating the aforementioned term, the following periods shall be excluded:
a) Maternity or paternity leave, according to the Social Security General Regime regulations. An extension of 1 year for each daughter/son will be applied.
b) Illness or serious accident leading to medical leave: if such leave lasted more than 3 months.
c) Care of dependents according to Law 39/2006, if such a care period lasted more than 3 months
· Candidates already granted similar PhD contract (such as “Río Hortega” Contracts) are not eligible.
· Candidates should have previous research experience and a strong commitment to scientific research.
· Candidates must have a solid knowledge of English.
In case of any doubt concerning the eligibility criteria and Nadal prior to the submission of the application, applicants should contact Patricia Nadal at phd-irbbarcelona.org
- The current call offers 5 PhD positions
- Fellows will be supported for a period of 3 years
- Applicants who have not been successful but that have received a positive evaluation will be included on a waiting list to cover future positions.
The successful candidates will benefit from the Training Programmes available at the four institutions, including:
- International scientific environment.
- Advanced research training (training-through research, specific scientific and technology courses and a variety of seminars and conferences with international invited speakers).
- Career development activities.
- Cutting-edge core facilities.
- Student community activities.
- Competitive salary.
- Applications must be submitted online from here
- Candidates must register in order to use the online application system.
- The online application form requests all of the necessary information for the initial stages of the selection process (General information, Reference letters, Education, coursework, honours, scholarships, prizes and awards, research experience, career breaks and scientific interests)
- Applicants should indicate at least one and up to three collaborative projects on which they would like to work on, in order of preference.
- Two reference letters will be automatically requested to the referees proposed by the candidate through the online system.
- Candidates must ensure that all information is included before the deadline, including the reference letters. Incomplete proposals will not be considered.
Once the application is submitted an acknowledgement of receipt will be automatically sent by email to the applicant.
Applicants who would like to receive the information of the call in an alternative format (e.g. large print, Braille, audio or hard copy), or who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on + 34 93 316 01 00.
For any additional information, please contact Patricia Nadal at phd-irbbarcelona.org
· Pre-selection: The pre-selection will be based on the candidate's CV, reference letters and on the research interests. Complete applications will be reviewed within a few weeks after the deadline.
· Oral interviews: During the third week of May (16-20 May 2016), the pre-selected candidates will participate in panel interview process.
The 5 top candidates in the final ranking list will be offered a PhD4MD contract.
· Notification of results to candidates: Offers will be made to the successful candidates shortly after the interview period, and no later than May 27, 2016. Selected candidates will have two weeks to accept the position and should start their fellowships no later than 31 October 2016.
See also the Call Text.
For this second call, the group leaders who have expressed interest in recruiting are:
A SYSTEMS BIOLOGY APPROACH TO UNDERSTANDING THE MOLECULAR PATHOGENESIS OF CHRONIC LIVER DISEASE PROGRESSION - Pere Ginès. IDIBAPS / Patrick Aloy. IRB Barcelona
ADVANCES IN IDIOPATHIC INFLAMMATORY MYOPATHIES - Dr. Grau (IDIBAPS) / Dr. Zorzano (IRB Barcelona)
BRCA1-DEPENDENT MOLECULAR AND CELLULAR MECHANISMS IN OVARIAN CANCER - Dr. Santamaria (VHIR) / Dr. Eduard Sabidó (CRG)
CLINICAL DECISION SYSTEM FOR CANCER PATIENTS - Dr. Campo (IDIBAPS) / Dr. Gut (CNAG)
IN VITRO SPERMATOGENESIS AS MODEL SYSTEM TO STUDY HUMAN SPERM DEVELOPMENT AND FERTILITY DISORDERS - Dr. Bernhard Payer (CRG) / Dr. Rafael Oliva Virgili (IDIBAPS)
MOLECULAR DETERMINANTS OF SENSITIVITY TO IMMUNE CHECK-POINT INHIBITORS (CPI) IN COMBINATION WITH A HETEROLOGOUS LYSATE DENDRITIC CELL VACCINE (HLDC) IN MICROSATELLITE STABLE (MSS) COLORECTAL CANCER - Dr. Maurel (IDIBAPS) / Dr. Ossowski (CRG)
MULTIPLE SYSTEM ATROPHY: SYNUCLEIN REGULATION AND BIOMARKERS DISCOVERY - Dr. Tartaglia (CRG) / Dr. Martí (IDIBAPS)
NOVEL TARGETS TO PREVENT KIDNEY FAILURE IN DENT'S PATIENTS - Dr. Meseguer (VHIR) / Dr. Malhotra (CRG)
RESPIRATORY MICROBIOME AND COPD EXACERBATIONS - Dr. Agustí (IDIBAPS) / Dr. Gabaldón (CRG)
SPLICING FACTOR MUTATIONS IN HEMATOLOGICAL MALIGNANCIES - Dolors Colomer (IDIBAPS) / Juan Valcárcel (CRG)
SYSTEMS VACCINOLOGY TO GUIDE EFFECTIVE AND SAFE HIV THERAPEUTIC VACCINES - Dr. García and Dr. Arnedo (IDIBAPS) / Dr. Aloy (IRB Barcelona)
|Call opening||11 February, 2016|
|Call deadline||11 April, 2016|
|Pre-selection of candidates||April, 2016|
|Oral interviews||16- 20 May, 2016|
|Notification to candidates||May 27, 2016|
|Start date||September/October 2016|
For any additional information, please contact:
+34 93 403 1120