Joint postdoctoral NCBS-CRG Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
Joint Post-doctoral Fellowship Program between National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), the Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine (inStem), Bangalore, India, and the Center for Genomic Regulation (CRG), Barcelona, Spain
The National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), the Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine (inStem) in Bangalore, India, and the Center for Genomic Regulation (CRG) in Barcelona, Spain, announce joint postdoctoral fellowships called NCBS-CRG Postdoctoral Fellows Program.
This programme aims to attract post-doctoral fellows of any nationality to link ongoing collaborations between researchers at the NCBS-inStem and the CRG to develop new research projects.
- Applicants, of any nationality, must hold a PhD at the time of applying and will be typically within 4 years of completing their PhD.
- Applicants must have a proven record of research accomplishments and at least one original first author publication either published or accepted in an international peer-reviewed journal at the time of application
- Appointments will be for a maximum of 4 years. Fellows will divide their time between NCBS-inStem and CRG according to the requirements of the project, as decided in consultation with the mentors at each location.
- Selected candidates will be employed by the NCBS/inStem
- Selected candidates will be evaluated after the second year for the continuation of their fellowship
Fellowships will be funded by NCBS/inStem, with research costs and bench fees at Barcelona or Bangalore location met by the host institution.
While at NCBS/inStem in Bangalore, fellows will be paid a competitive salary on par with the NCBS Fellows program and house rent allowance. While at the CRG, fellows will be paid competitively with international fellowships such as the EMBO long-term fellowship used as a benchmark. Medical insurance in Bangalore and Barcelona will be covered.
In addition, candidates will be provided accommodation at subsidized cost while based at NCBS-inStem. Fellows will benefit from the wide scientific, training and social activities at the CRG and NCBS. Medical insurance in Bangalore and Barcelona will be covered.
In some cases, candidates who are shortlisted for the final presentation but are not selected to the Fellows Programme, may be offered a Career Development Fellowship based in the laboratory at Bangalore. The fellowship comprises a competitive salary and housing at nominal costs while based at NCBS-inStem.
Applicants must identify the laboratories at NCBS or inStem and CRG they would like to be associated with on a collaborative project.
The candidate is expected to develop a research project in consultation with the laboratory heads (PIs) at both institutes. A key component of selection into the program is the ability of the candidate to, articulate a viable research program anchored in the two laboratories. An application along with the research proposal should be submitted to: email@example.com.
The subject line should state “Last Name_Application”. The application should be written as a research proposal in the following format:
- Title (100 words)
- Key words (5)
- Summary: 250 words
- Background (1 Page)
- Aims (half a page)
- Research outline and methodology (elaborating on each of the aims, 3 pages)
- Annexures: relevant background material, figures, and any details of methodology that will be of use to the reviewers: No more than 3 pages, a reference list and CV of the applicant.
A template of the application form will be available on the website.
The application should be supported by two letters of recommendation from referees other than the collaborating PIs and submitted directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The collaborating PIs are also required to send sponsorship letters supporting the application to: Professor Apurva Sarin, Head Academics, NCBS (email@example.com).
A committee comprising faculty from NCBS-inStem will review applications and shortlist candidates who will be invited to visit the Bangalore or Barcelona institutes for a seminar and formal interview with the committee, which will include also faculty from the CRG. The committee will evaluate the candidate’s scientific background, qualifications, the scientific-technological quality, and originality of the project during the seminar given by the candidate.
Applications are accepted through the year, and the decision of the preliminary evaluation will be estimated within 4 months of submission.
Kripa V. Jalapathy
Research and Academic Coordinator
National Centre for Biological Sciences
Bangalore 560065, Karnataka, India